Friday, November 26, 2004
This comment-conversation may, in fact, save my life.
Rosa: Play about comics... What genre of comics? Will the play be about the parallelisms between the "real world" and the "amazing world of comics"? It could be interesting.
Another unexplored subject would be nerds and geeks, and how they relate with relatively "normal" people. How they seem to live in a "fantasy" world separate from other people. How they utilize the knowledge they glean from fantasy books, anime and the movies in order to be able to relate with relatively "normal" people.
I rather like the 2nd idea better. :) If I could write as well as say, Cliff, I'd probably write something like it. But comics are nice, too. You only need to come up with a cohesive storyline.
Hmm... making comics because in it the author has control over a (or several other) universe(s)? S/he makes comics to have a semblance of control, power and order in her/his otherwise chaotic life? S/he lives the life s/he wants to have in the comics because s/he can't do it in the "real world"? Hmm...
Jonette: Truth be told, I initially wanted to write a play about geeks just like the way you suggested: how he/she relates to other people and how s/he eventually finds love in a strange, scary world. What scared me though was the thought that I may have to include the different kinds of geeks in the piece (gamer geeks? comic book geeks? political geeks? science/ computer geeks? etc.). So many to think of and fit into a one act play! I was particularly scary as well when I got to thinking if I could even really do geekdom justice with the play. :) But yes, you're right.
As for the comic book play, it's just incubating in my head right now, (hence playing hooky from my Playwriting Class to give it more mulling and brewing time), and the story I feel veers too close for comfort to the premise of Charlie Kaufman's Adaptation. But really, if I could incorporate the two, so much might the play be the better?
*!
You know, you just made me pick up a scent trail somewhere there.
If I stumble on something wonderful, please do me a favor and remind me you like cake. Or brownies.
Plus here's another thing to chew on: how do I write this play that in such a way, the comic-book (or geeky element) metaphor is the best metaphor I can use for the play?
Wait, wait, wait. Should I even be worrying about this so soon? I mean, the play's still incubating, fer cryin' out loud!
But there's a start.
Oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssss, me pretty, there's a start.
















