La Vita e la Morte
de Cavallo Bianco
clip-clopping from shadows to sunlight
Wednesday, May 02, 2007

World, meet Pepper.



Pepper is a cat a co-worker from my previous company gave to me for christmas. He mother is a doyenne of a blue-ppoint siamese cat, and her ancestry shows in leaps and bounds. Literally. she can jump up to my shoulder in a split second, if she wanted to.

At the momment, her favorite chew-and-scratch toys are a red catnip mouse I got her for christmas, a hapless pair of coffee-colored sneakers I bought in Quiapo, and my favorite pair of jeans.

The cat is quite the hunter. Oh if only she'd graduate from roaching. A story: my uncle once borrowed her for a night to see how she'd react to tiny mice, as she'd never seen the critters a day in her life. A cat's made to do mice in, after all. The very next day, the wee squeakers were still at large --- but my uncle's house was immaculately roach-free.

She is apt to scare (maybe I should say bully) away toms five times her size. Where she gets her intrepidity, I shall never know.

She also has her lucid momments. Sitting on my wondow-sill, watching the world spin on is meditation for her. The only that can really break her reverie is a passing tomcat-intruder. If I take her by surprise from behind, she meows... and goes back to world-watching.


Later when I get home, turn the key in my front-door lock and slide it open, my cat will lazily open its eyes at the flick of the light switch. "and where have you been, young lady?", she blinks. She often thinks she runs the house. I love her